45 People Remain in Critical Condition Following Las Vegas Massacre
LAS VEGAS (AP) Hospital officials say Tuesday that at least 45 people remain in critical condition after being wounded at a mass shooting at a Las Vegas music festival on Sunday.
Sunrise Hospital has 33 people and University Medical Center has 12 people still in critical condition as of Tuesday morning.
At Sunrise, a total of 68 people remain hospitalized out of the 214 initially admitted.
Officials say 15 people have died there.
Officials say a total of 60 people remain hospitalized out of the 104 who were taken to University Medical.
Four have died.
Authorities say Stephen Craig Paddock killed 59 people and injured more than 500 others when he opened fire Sunday night on an outdoor country music concert from a 32nd floor hotel tower.
His motive remains a mystery.
Paddock had a penchant for guns, high-limit video poker and real estate deals.
His father was a notorious fugitive bank robber.
He had a recent live-in girlfriend and two ex-wives and seemed to live a comfortable life in a Nevada retirement community.
His life is the subject of a sprawling investigation into what drove him to show up at the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino with at least 10 suitcases filled with guns and open fire from his 32nd floor suite on a country music festival.
Law enforcement and family members could not explain what would motivate a one-time accountant with no known criminal record to inflict so much carnage.
President Donald Trump is calling him a "very, very sick individual."
Mr. Trump spoke to reporters Tuesday as he departed for a trip to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico. He called the gunman "demented" and said "we're looking into him very seriously."
Mr. Trump also praised Las Vegas police, saying they had done an "incredible job."
Mr. Trump stressed that the shooting was a tragedy.
Asked about gun laws, the president said "we'll be talking about gun laws as time goes by."
Follow the related link in this story to see the latest updates and live continuing coverage of this breaking news.
Update: 5:15 p.m. The death toll has risen to 59, and the number of wounded has risen to 527 in Sunday's massacre on the Las Vegas Strip.
Update: 10:40 a.m. Las Vegas officials are now saying 58 people were killed, 515 others were hurt in Sunday night's concert attack.
The shooter has been identified as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock.
President Donald Trump has given a message of unity in the wake of the deadliest mass shooting in recent U.S. history.
Trump says in a somber White House address that: "in moments of tragedy and horror, America comes together as one. And it always has."
He says that "Our unity cannot be shattered by evil" and "our bonds cannot be broken by violence."
Las Vegas shooter Stephen Craig Paddock's father was a notorious bank robber who tried to run down an FBI agent with his car in Las Vegas in 1960 and was on the agency's most wanted list after escaping from a federal prison in Texas in 1968.
Paddock was a teen when an FBI poster issued after the escape said his father Benjamin Hoskins Paddock had been "diagnosed as psychopathic."
The FBI warning about the elder Paddock said he should be considered "armed and very dangerous." He had been serving a 20-year sentence for a string of Phoenix bank robberies.
Benjamin Hoskins Paddock died in 1998.
Stephen Paddock's brother, Eric, confirmed their father's identity in an interview Monday with The Orlando Sentinel.
Update: 9:15 a.m. Pope Francis is calling the Las Vegas shooting a "senseless tragedy" and is assuring victims of his prayers. President Trump is scheduled to address the nation regarding the shootings at approximately 9:30 a.m.
The Vatican secretary of state sent a telegram of condolences Monday to the bishop of Las Vegas, saying the pope was "deeply saddened" to learn of the shooting.
The telegram said Francis praised the efforts of police and emergency crews.
In the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, a gunman opened fire on an outdoor concert, killing at least 50 people and injuring more than 400 others.
Update: 8:15 a.m. The U.S. Homeland Security Department says there is no "specific credible threat" involving other public venues in the U.S. after the Las Vegas shooting that killed at least 50 people.
The gunman, identified by police as Stephen Paddock died at the scene. Police said he fired from the 32nd floor of a Las Vegas Strip casino onto an outdoor country music festival Sunday night. It was the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
In Washington, A Homeland Security spokesman, David Lapan, tweeted Monday the department has "no information to indicate a specific credible threat involving other public venues in the country."
Heavily armed police are searching the Nevada retirement-community home of the man authorities say killed more than 50 people when he opened fire at a country-music concert in Las Vegas.
Mesquite Police Chief Troy Tanner says police surrounded and entered the single-family home where 64-year-old Stephen Paddock lived with 62-year-old Marilou Danley early Monday morning.
He says Danley was not at the house and police saw "no movement" inside before serving a search warrant at the one-story, three-bedroom home in the Sun City Mesquite retirement community, about 80 miles north of Las Vegas.
UPDATE: 8:00 a.m. Police say over 400 people are injured at area hospitals and the number of dead may go up.
Police believe the shooter shot himself when police stormed into the hotel room where he had been staying since September 28.
Update: 6:40 a.m. Local law enforcement says Paddock had a criminal history.
UPDATE: 5:48 a.m. Sheriff says, they have located the female person of interest in the deadly shooting at a Las Vegas outdoor concert. Investigators said Danley is Paddock's wife.
Law enforcement have obtained a search warrant for Paddock's Mesquite, Nev. home.
This is the deadliest shooting in U.S. history.
UPDATE: 5:30 a.m.
The shooter has been identified as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock of Mesquite, Nev.
Police has described the gunman as a white male in his 60's that lived in a retirement community. He does not have a criminal record that police are aware of.
Two off-duty police officers attending the concert were killed. An on-duty officer is in critical condition and another was injured.
UPDATE at 4:45 a.m.
At least 20 people are dead and more than 100 injured including some off-duty police officers following a mass shooting in Las Vegas according to CBS news.
Local law enforcement confirm the shooting suspect is dead. He was shooting from a hotel room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.
Police are searching for MariLou Danley, an Asian woman who may be the shooter's roommate. The shooter is described as a lone wolf and a local resident of Las Vegas.
The shooting happened at the Mandalay Bay Casino on the Las Vegas Strip during the Route 91 Harvest Festival.
Witnesses say country singer Jason Aldean was playing near the end of the concert when gunfire began.
Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo says the man authorities think was the sole gunman was killed by police on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino across Las Vegas Boulevard from Route 91 Harvest Festival, a country music festival.
He said the gunman is a local resident but did not disclose his name.
Lombardo says authorities want to speak to a traveling companion of the deceased gunman. Lombardo identified her as Marilou Danley. He added that authorities are trying to track down two vehicles believed associated with the shooting.
Concert-goers reported seeing muzzle flashes from the upper floors of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino across Las Vegas Boulevard from the country music festival and the sound of what they described as automatic gun fire.
A Southern California police department says an off-duty officer was among those shot during the Las Vegas attack. There was no word on his or her condition.
CBS News has been told at least three other area hospitals were taking in shooting victims.