Police Shoot Suspected Terrorist Outside UK Parliament, People Rammed With Car
A knife attacker has been shot after a car mowed down pedestrians on Westminster Bridge and charged the gates of parliament, in what police are treating as a terrorist incident.
What we know
- Police are treating the incident as terrorism
- A woman is dead and others have "catastrophic" injuries
- Several people have been injured after a car reportedly mounted the pavement on Westminster Bridge and "tried to mow people down"
- A police officer was stabbed inside Parliament grounds. The officer's condition is not known
- Alleged assailant shot by armed police
Witnesses have described seeing a middle-aged man carrying a knife running towards the Palace of Westminster.
Jayne Wilkinson told Sky News: "We were taking photos of Big Ben and we saw all the people running towards us, and then there was an Asian guy in about his 40s carrying a knife about seven or eight inches long.
"And then there were three shots fired, and then we crossed the road and looked over. The man was on the floor with blood.
"He had a lightweight jacket on, dark trousers and a shirt.
"He was running through those gates, towards parliament, and the police were chasing him."
The US State Department says it is closely following the "concerning situation" in the UK.
Read more: https://www.rt.com/uk/381771-gunfire-loud-bangs-parliament/