Man Severely Burned in Package Explosion on Queens Porch Dies
The 73-year-old man who was severely burned when he opened a package on a Queens porch last week has died, police say.
George Wray, of Queens, suffered second and third-degree burns to 80 percent of his body, mostly to his torso and legs, in Friday's blast, according to police. He died of his injuries at Nassau University Medical Center on Monday.
NYPD Chief Robert Boyce said Monday that there is a strong possibility of arrest, but that "I don't have a homicide" since Wray's exact cause of death won't be determined until an autopsy is completed.
Calling the investigation complex, Boyce said investigators are trying to figure out who the intended target was. He said authorities have "a lot of strong leads."
Federal agents have joined the NYPD as the department investigates the package, which was left on the porch of a home Wray owns on 222nd Street in Springfield Gardens. He was the landlord of the property, which was rented out to two families.
The package had apparently been left on the porch for days in a clear plastic bag, according to Boyce.
When Wray opened the cylindrical package — 12 inches by 4 inches in size — it exploded in his hands, erupting in a cloud of smoke and covering him in flames, Boyce said. He was taken to Nassau University Medical Center in critical condition.
Source: Man Severely Burned in Package Explosion on Queens Porch Dies - NBC New York http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Queens-Man-Burned-in-Package-Porch-Explosion-Dies-437945113.html#ixzz4od0tXHd5
Follow us: @nbcnewyork on Twitter | NBCNewYork on Facebook