Dike Break Forces Hundreds from Homes Near Montreal

Dike Break Forces Hundreds from Homes Near Montreal

Quebec's premier is telling residents in water logged areas of the province that they face a few more “difficult” days ahead and to “have courage” until the flood threat eases.

Francois Legault made the comment yesterday afternoon, just hours before a dike broke in Ste-Marthe-sur-le-Lac, Que., forcing the evacuation of hundreds of residents living along the shore of Lake of Two Mountains, northwest of Montreal.

Quebec officials said yesterday that 3,085 homes remained flooded, 2,783 others were surrounded by water, 2,003 people had been forced from their homes and about 50 landslides had been reported across the province.

Legault noted that swollen rivers south of Quebec City are finally receding, however, he said water levels in the corridor along the St. Lawrence and Ottawa rivers between Montreal and the boundary with Ontario weren't expected to peak before Monday or Tuesday.

In the Ottawa area, where hundreds of troops have been deployed to help hold back the still rising floodwaters, officials put out a call yesterday for more volunteers to pack and stack sandbags.

Meanwhile, in central Ontario's cottage country officials said water levels were up slightly due to rain on Friday, but they were hopeful some late season snow would act like a sponge and help slow the flow of water into lakes, rivers and streams.

The best news comes from southern New Brunswick where the forecast calls for flood waters to slowly recede in most areas over the next five days.

Hamilton Mobster Pat Musitano Still Clinging to Life in Hospital After Brazen Shooting

Hamilton Mobster Pat Musitano Still Clinging to Life in Hospital After Brazen Shooting

One Dead, Several Injured in Shooting at California Synagogue

One Dead, Several Injured in Shooting at California Synagogue